Thursday, April 3, 2014

Why I CrossFit...

I recently read an article titled '25 Rules For Mothers of Daughters' and one point in particular caught my attention. It read: "Teach her to be independent. Show her by example that women can be strong. Find and follow your own passions. Search for outlets of expression and enjoyment for yourself - not just your husband or children. Define yourself by your own attributes, not by what others expect you to be. Know who you are as a person, and help her find out who she is."

Throughout my adulthood I have searched for myself, for my passion and for my outlet that let me be me. For a long time it was crafting, book clubs or running marathons...until I discovered CrossFit. This sport has changed my life in so many ways. I've become more confident in myself, grown thicker skin, learned how far I can test my limits, made amazing friends and discovered the athlete I was always meant to be. I know I'm a role model for my girls. I know if they are watching me and I quit that I'm teaching them it's ok to quit. I also know they see me wake early every day to hit the gym to get stronger, better, faster. And this is what I'm most proud of.

I've heard plenty of cynics about the sport and about the time I spend away from my family. And if you're one of them, just know that I'm going to keep busting my butt no matter what you say about me. I'm showing my girls that I'm proud of the hard work and dedication I devote and that they, too, can one day be whomever they dream to be.

Selfie at the James H.otel a few weeks ago doing a brutal traveling wod in my room. The enormous mirror helped me get through 150 burpees :)
 Two-a-days before the Open consisted of heavy Outlaw training. These drills help me to PR and focus on my form. And I'm addicted to it.
 I visit a local box on the weekends and love the community that welcomes me there.
 Outlaw training = lots of lifting off the blocks
 Gaining weight goals = 6 meals a day
 Participated in my second Open this year and made improvements by leaps and bounds. Do I wish I would've performed better? Absolutely. Did these wods kick my butt? You bet. But I'm thrilled with where I ended up...
 I ranked top 25% in the world for women
 And the top 26% in my Region for women
Last year's Open I finished top 56% in the Region. That means I made a 30% rank improvement over last year. And that is why I Crossfit. Progress. I will never make it to the Games. But I will continue to strive for more. Because it feels good. And hard work pays off. And it's freaking FUN!

And finally, I devoted a solid 4 weeks to muscle up progressions (programmed by my awesome coach) that consisted of 3 days a week of drills to strengthen my shoulders and learn the technique. Last week coach asked me to just go for one. I grabbed the rings and up I went...I did it! And then proceeded to do 3 more to ensure it wasn't a fluke. I was so pumped that I did a round-off back-handspring. My muscle up is not pretty and I can't string them together. But I'm freaking doing it. I made a list of 2014 goals for myself in January and the muscle up was at the top. I scored my muscle up in March...and cannot wait to see what the rest of the year has in store for me. I guarantee it's full of hours in the gym making me a better me.

0 comments :