Sunday, March 7, 2010

Old friends, birthdays and bikes

For the McCulloch house, we had somewhat of a busy weekend! Friday night, per our usual, we had movie and pizza night. Saturday morning I woke early to go on a long run with a few girlfriends (thanks Sandi & Melissa for kicking my butt!) and then came home to get ready for a lunch out with an old friend.
My girlfriend, Chi, and I cheered together all through high school. And as with any sport, you tend to get very close to your teammates. We spent many nights at sleepovers or camps or dances together and have lots of fun memories. I haven't seen Chi since our 10 year high school reunion 5 years ago and it had been too long. Chi and her husband (and 6 month old son, James) are thinking about a move to the Carmel area so they were here looking at houses and the area in general. We met up at Bazbeaux's for an early lunch and it was just so special to see her again and catch up (and relive a few old memories!). Crossing my fingers that they make the move, would be so much fun to have her down here!

Laney is making the moves on James
Smitten
After the girls' naps, we headed over to my carpool-mate's son's 1st Birthday party. Brenna and I have been carpooling together for almost 2 years. There were a handful of carpool groups in our division at work when I started, as gas was in the $4 / gallon price range and no one lives near our offices on the east side of town. However, Brenna and I are the only ones that still carpool. Gas prices have gone down, but we find it hard NOT to be driving together every single day. It's funny, when Brenna went on maternity leave last year I was BORED in the car alone. I mean, it was fun to be able to catch up on my phone calls (as most all of you know I am NOT a phone person) and sing in the car again. However, I missed Brenna's company. She returned to work and 3 months later I left for maternity leave. When she came over to bring me dinner while I was still at home, she told me she was looking forward to my return b/c she had taken to READING while driving - to pass the time. Needless to say, she wasn't driving safely. Ha! Anyway, we tend to talk about everything from celebrity gossip, to reality t.v., to issues at home and with family. I find it extremely therapeutic to talk to her, as she is a third party and gives great advice and asks great questions from a non-judgemental stance. Bottom line, I love carpooling with Brenna. So when Mike and I arrived with the girls to the birthday party, our husbands were finally able to hang out...to which I found both fun and yet a little unsettling. I mean, if both Scott and Mike put their two stories together, they'd learn that Brenna and I know a LOT about the others' relationships and quirks. We all laughed several times over this. I guess it's just hard to put into words. We had such a wonderful time celebrating Jack's first birthday and I was so happy to finally put faces to all the names I hear about every week. Mike was simply happy there was booze served at a 1st birthday party :)
The birthday boy: Jack
Jack & Brenna
The sun was out all day today, so we got Izzy out on her tricycle. Her legs are finally long enough to reach the pedals so we had a lesson in "how to push the pedals to make the bike move forward." She hasn't grasped this 100% yet...but she's very close. Pedals a few times and then gets off and pushes the bike. Too cute.
And finally, I was going through Delaney's drawers (in the first year I feel that I have to get out with the old and in with the new on a MONTHLY basis, which is exhausting and time consuming!) and found this adorable hat from Sam & Bridget Tynan. I cannot believe I forgot about this little number. I just had to snap a few photos of Bug in this...too cute!

0 comments :