Sunday, December 18, 2011

A trip to the dentist & Running in beards...

Izzy has been to the dentist twice before. Both times she was too scared to sit in the "big girl" chair to have her teeth examined & cleaned. This time? She hopped right up into that chair, was lifted up, put on her sunnies, and allowed the hygienist to apply "fairy dust" to her teeth. She even got a few x-rays. All without a whine or a tear. She didn't need me. At all. I was so impressed with her bravery and I didn't even have to give her a pep-talk beforehand. She did it. All by herself. Maybe it was the help of her 6 accessories she chose that morning:
 Notice the garter belt she's donning on her wrist. Thanks to a particular Bridal Bunny she received last year when she was a flower girl in cousin Tim's wedding, she now thinks that is a bracelet. I do get some funny looks. But most moms of daughters look at me and smile. We know you cannot argue with a 4 year old who wants to accessorize. You just can't harness that creativity.
 Saturday morning (after a 7am sleep-in, which I feel is comparable to a noon o'clock wake up!) we had babysitters at our door at 7:30 while Mike and I trekked downtown for a festive Santa Hu.stle 5k with my Back on My Fe.et buddies. This wasn't any ordinary 5k. Rather, with our registration came a technical Santa shirt, a Santa hat and a Santa beard. Sounds like fun, right? You bet it was!
 Typically wearing the race shirt on race day is a bit of a runner faux pas; however, it was required at this race and made for an interesting time finding your party or your friend. Everyone looked alike. And everyone was having just as much fun as we were. The beards initially were a bit awkward, I was getting the pieces of "hair" in my mouth. Beth found that she was going to have a hard time spitting with it on. But we all quickly learned that it was keeping us warm! I had mine on until about a mile in and needed to cool off.
 We lined up along the White River and the scene was awesome...thousands of Santas ready to run!
 This was such a fun race and one I can see doing every year. Along the course were Elves manning water stations and candy stations. Cookies, candy canes and M&Ms were part of our fuel being handed out. Holiday music was piped in at the start and finish. Two reindeer were on hand. And we could get our pictures taken on Santa's sleigh. So much fun. Post race Mike and I took advantage of the sitters at home and spent a few hours at a pub to warm up. We didn't even get funny looks wearing our costumes into the bar (our sitters, on the other hand, did).

I did some holiday baking over the weekend; made a large batch of my favorite Scotcharoos and a double batch (150) of cake balls. Ready for our travels so I can stop eating these in the house and start sharing them with family!
 We left the warm cozy of our house to enjoy a few hours of swimming...
It's going to be a busy week - holiday parties, a special tea party with Natty & Granny Panties, traveling to the Fort and Michigan, and coming home with my mom and sister in tow. Let the fun begin!

0 comments :