Monday, March 5, 2012

The Monon is where my heart is...

I was planning on running my long run on Friday this past week. See, I have every other Friday off and have attempted to use those Fridays to get my long runs in. Mostly so I can sleep in on Saturday mornings. Regardless, this past Friday you may have heard that we here in Indiana encountered severe weather. Tornadoes to be exact. Funnel clouds. Hail. Winds in the 40-50 mph range. I decided to postpone my Friday run and opted to run with my Perfect Stranger girls on Saturday. However, my heart was racing so fast for a solid hour on Friday that I felt like I had just run for hours.

Jaime had texted me early on Friday to ask if we had bad weather would I be able to pick up her boys from school if the going got rough (she has been out of town and her huz was as well). We encountered some morning storms and hail. Then around 2:15 the tornado sirens went off. They only go off if there is a tornado watch AND warning (an actual sighting). I hunkered down in the basement with the dog and my laptop...as the satellite was out from all the wind. One funnel cloud was spotted, then a second in the next county over from ours. My panic set in. Mike told me I didn't have enough time to go get the girls and be home in time to take cover. He also told me their school was all brick; they'd be much safer there than at home. Jaime reminded me that the school does drills regularly (in fact they just did one that morning in preparation!) and are trained for taking care of our children in these situations. But I still couldn't relax. I sent out an email to my parents and sister to tell them what I was in the middle of and how scared I was. Thirty minutes later the storm had passed without any tornadoes touching down. The sun came out in full effect and the rest of the day was absolutely gorgeous. However, parts of Southern Indiana didn't fare so well. Complete devastation.

After I was brave enough to go back upstairs I immediately picked up the girls. I couldn't get my hands on them quick enough! There was a buzz about the school, as every child had to be woken up from their naps to take shelter from the storms. Izzy told me all about it while I kissed all over her and then all over Luke (his mom was out of town, someone had to do it!). Let's just say the rest of the day we laid low at home and took comfort in the fact that everyone one was safe and sound.

I woke up Saturday excited to get in a long run with my runner girls. You may remember we had a few themed runs last year (Survivor, Totally 80's, Patriotic)...a few of the girls were running 20 milers so we had to spice it up with another theme: Princess. I arrived bearing tiaras (borrowed from Izzalicious) and donning pink. After a few miles the tiaras were ditched, as they couldn't withstand the high winds we were enduring (30ish mph!).
Knee high socks from the night trail run in January. And see those mittens? Probably the best present ever for a runner! Jaim got me those for xmas and I'll tell you what I told her, "life changing." I have poor circulation in my hands and the mittens rock my world. And the best part? The thumb is a soft fabric for wiping your runny nose. Comes in handy after a snot rocket. You're welcome.
Several other runners thought we were celebrating a bachelorette party. We heard, "Congrats!" and "Nice socks!" all morning long. See? Themed runs keep it interesting! I finished just shy of 10 miles and left the girls to finish up 20. Inspiring, I tell ya. But I was happy to be done, that's for sure.

Wanted to give you a sneak peek at our lot for our new home:
It may just look like a lot of dirt to you, but it'll soon be turned into our home. See those trees? They line the M.onon Trail. And that house behind the trees? That's what we'll get to look out on (not too shabby, right?!). Mikey and I have already chosen our elevation (design of the front of our house), interior & exterior colors, flooring, cabinetry, counters, fixtures and more. It's incredible the sheer amount of decisions that have to be make in order to pull it all together. What's even more incredible is that Mike and I agreed on nearly every one of those decisions (notice I said nearly). So far it's been a fun process and I can't wait to see it all come together in the upcoming months.

In the meantime, we've been getting a lot of projects completed at our current house to get it in order for listing it in a few weeks. We have a large list of things to complete and are slowly crossing things off. I cleaned out, purged and organized 5 closets yesterday and I have to say that I'm pretty surprised by how roomy they look now that all the clutter is out! Next up: turning our coveted toy room back into a living room and turning our small den back into a dining room. Will be more purging happening at our house as I try to get all the toys to fit into the built-ins in our basement. Should be interesting.

Saturday evening Mike's mom and step-dad came down to watch the girls for us so we could have a date night with some friends. The girls had fun with their grandparents while Mikey & I had a relaxing night out.
Larry is such a trooper with that headband...what a riot!

0 comments :