Sunday, June 17, 2012

Daddy Mike

 Pretty happy right now. This was our first weekend without a single plan on the calendar. No packing. No moving. No gymnastics. No long run. No yard work. Not a care in the world (well, except for the fact I can't find anything in the apartment). Was the perfect weekend to focus on family and celebrate our very own Daddy Mike. He doesn't make many appearances on this blog, but he certainly deserves a special post today.

Mike is an amazing father. A great mix of compassion, sensitivity, silly and sweet with the girls. Love that we do (most) everything together as a family. Love that he loves all three of us girls so much. I remember when we found out we were having a girl...we were on a long walk (waddle?) and Mike said, "What am I going to do with a girl? I don't know how to have tea parties." Well I'm pretty sure he's overcome that fear...it's a good thing, because it melts my heart to see him with the girls. 

We spent hours at the apartment pool yesterday doing this:

 The girls love watching him swim laps and flip turn himself back and forth, back and forth. As soon as he stops they yell, "Do it again, Daddy!" He swims so smoothly, almost elegantly. I must admit, I also enjoy watching him swim. His Division 1 swimming career was pre-Kelly and is somewhat mysterious to me. I wasn't a part of that chapter of his life and wish I had been able to see him compete. Hence, I am entranced when he swims. The girls and I just sit on the side giggling. We all love it.

Had dinner at our old neighbors' house (they are gracious enough to continually invite us over to get us out of the apartment) on Saturday night. Sunday morning the girls and I made Mike breakfast in bed and showered him with smooches and gifts. We took a long walk this morning through our new neighborhood, explored the newly dry-walled house and had a nice lunch. Mike has spent the remainder of the day watching the U.S. Open. All day. In fact, all weekend. It's his weekend so I have had to zip my lips. He does so much for us that it's the least I can do.
Daddy Mike on his self-designed new deck
Happy Father's Day to my Mikey and my own Dad. Love you guys to the moon and back.

0 comments :