Sunday, June 3, 2012

Deep breaths...

So we've had a busy few days. To say the least. Mike and I have been anticipating this day for months and it finally arrived. Moving day. It was more like moving weekend

Thursday evening the girls took off with their grandparents so Mike and I could embark on one of the busiest weekends in our marriage. Friday morning we loaded up two trucks (thanks for switching cars with me for the day, Jaim) to transport all of our belongings that would be going into our new apartment (summer clothes, kitchen accouterments, toiletries and toys). Speaking of apartments, Mike and I signed our first apartment lease since 2002 (for me) and 2000 (for Mike). It had been a long while since I had owned an actual key and was in search of the perfect key chain. Found one while packing up the girls' toys. Perfection.

 Friday evening our neighbors had us over for dinner and drinks. I made that night last far longer than it should have, as I didn't want to return to our house for the last time. To face the fact that it would be our last night in our house. The last time we would walk home from their house in the dark of night after a fun evening. Oh, how I dreaded turning out the light on Friday. Mike held me while I cried and cried. Was a tough night.

We woke early Saturday and started last minute packing (me) and taking apart beds (Mike). The movers arrived and were thrilled with how "organized" we were for them. The fact that we had everything unhooked (appliances and electronics) and packed (some things even shrink wrapped!) made their day. Made my day that someone appreciated the weeks of planning we had put into making this move go smoothly.

Mike and I helped move boxes outside and started a Goodwill pile in our driveway. I'm sure all our neighbors were tickled to see that the Clampets were moving out. However, as soon as I posted on FB that we had a growing donation pile, we had 4 separate friends swing by to collect some free stuff (and some even brought us more boxes...thanks Courtney!). Even after all the collections, I still made 3 separate trips to GW. Feels good to purge. Mike still thinks I'm a hoarder because I have every picture I've ever taken since 1991 and my high school letter jacket. That baby might come in handy for Halloween someday!

Katie drove by on her way to the gym (which I will miss...she'd stop by every time she saw us outside to say hi) and immediately got out to ask how things were going. Within seconds I was choked up and crying. Then hugging and sobbing. Katie is the friend that always says the right thing. Clutch. After our long embrace she looked at me and said, "You need to go visit your new house today. Spend time there. Take pictures. Then go out and buy a piece of furniture you've been eyeing. An expensive piece." Goodness I love her. And I didn't want her to leave, as again, that would mean I'd have to go back to reality. But alas, she left and we were back to business.

I was quickly feeling useless so I unloaded the refrigerator and freezer into coolers and took off for the apartment. Couldn't believe the apartment was the lesser of two evils, but I needed to breathe. So I did what I do best: organize. I unpacked the fridge, the kitchen, my clothes, the girls' clothes and Mike's clothes (his ties are organized by color!). Soon Mike arrived with the movers and our beds were delivered. So I made beds. Plugged in nightlights and air fresheners. Organized toys and books. I was in my element and it felt good. I was actually getting excited for the girls to come back to the apartment to see their new home. It was starting to feel like home. Gasp!

All while I was organizing the apartment, Mike was unloading the truck into our two garage units, and my step-mom, aunt and sister were sending me pictures of my niece's graduation from high school. With every picture I opened, so did the floodgates. I was missing my family something fierce. Thankfully my sister knows me so well that with every serious picture she'd sent, she'd follow them up with the a goofy one. Love her. And missed them. So much.

Once the movers were done Mike and I showered up and welcomed our very first guests: the Millers. Earlier in the day Amy had asked how the moving was going. Then asked if we needed some beers delivered later. Yes, please. She warned me that they were on their way to an 80's theme party. So I had to warn her that we were living like we were in a fraternity (read: mattresses on the floor and basement furniture in full effect - minimalists for 10 weeks, yo). Best hour of the day.

Sloane Peterson and Cameron circa Ferris Bueller. Love them.
Then Mike showed me this picture that one of the movers handed him. Um, who's that girl?
 So after a few beers and a lot of laughs, Mike and I headed over to our new house. And Katie was right; I felt so much better and all was right in the world.

Plus, our new deck was just completed and I could immediately envision nights spent out there with our friends and family in the very near future.


We celebrated with a sushi dinner date night. We were one step closer to the marathon moving weekend coming to an end.
Sunday morning we had a delicious breakfast out (sans kid made it feel like we were on another date, yay!) and quickly headed to the old house for a final roundup. I was ready to take on the day. Until I saw this:

 And then this:
 Good grief I couldn't breathe. Mike quickly decided he needed to make a trip to Lowe's while I stayed back. And spent the next 30 minutes moving all of our framed art and sobbing uncontrollably. I just let the tears stream down my face. I needed to get it all out. And did I ever. It was almost cathartic. As soon as the art organization ended Mike returned and I was in full-on focus mode: clean this place up so we could see our girls. That was my motivation.

I scrubbed bathrooms and floors. I vacuumed carpet and baseboards. I threw out way too many recyclable items in my haste to get it all over with. Fast forward 3 hours and our girls were running into my exhausted arms. Dude. I could breathe. Izzy, Lane and Laura toured the empty house laughing (thank goodness, as I was afraid they'd be freaked out) and making jokes about where everything had gone. Bob was cleaning the garage with Mike. And I was loading up the car with last minute cleaning supplies, Goodwill bags and wedding albums. The girls took one last swing on their set.
 We checked out the cocoon that has been on our garage for months, still no butterfly has emerged. Izzy turned to me and said, "Mommy, I think the new people that live here will really like this cocoon." We took one last look at the backyard and quickly saw a butterfly hovering around some potted flowers. The girls and I got closer. And the butterfly kept flitting around, as if wanting us to come closer. Flirting with us. And then it hit me...the butterfly was a symbol of new life, new beginnings, a fresh start. My chest tightened and my throat got a large lump. It was time.
 I wanted one last picture of us in front of the house. One last memory. Mike and I embraced and stared at the house. He made a joke about him dodging the bullet of having to paint the entire house this summer. And I cried. Got into the car and cried all the way to lunch. I had just said goodbye to our house for the last time.
 Once the girls got a glimpse of their new (shared) room at the apartment they were bouncing off the walls. Organizing their loveys. Running through all the new rooms. Shaking their booties in their typical "booty shaking" dance routines.

My girls were back. My temporary home was organized. My husband was in heaven ("This is going to be the best summer: no yard work and all the time in the world to spend with all three of my girls."). This was our new life.

We close tomorrow morning, which I'm sure will stir up more emotion. However, we made it through a grueling weekend filled with physical and emotional exhaustion. And you know what? I can finally breathe again.

1 comments :

Cindy said...

This made me cry. I felt that way when I left my Seattle home and the Forest Valley home. So many memories. One thing I learned is you take them with you and make new ones. Our homes are so much more than walls and floors...they are us. I'm in the process of making mine a "Nana" home now and making my grandkids feel as loved and safe as Nana and Grandma Bruhn made us feel. We could do that in a box. We have the heart.