Monday, September 3, 2012

Good to be home...

This weekend was the first weekend I'd been home since we moved into our new house 3 weeks ago. And being home never felt so good. Three days of jammies and unpacking straggler boxes. The girls watched lots of movies and rediscovered toys they hadn't seen since March. They'd be down in the basement (where all of our toys now live) for hours on end only coming up for snacks. I'm telling you, it was bliss. Well, as much bliss it can be when you're unpacking. All. Weekend. Long.

We did venture out for a few hours on Saturday evening to get some much overdue haircuts for the Littles.
 Izzy & Laney before...


 Izzy & Laney during...

 And Izzy & Laney after...
 We've talked about cutting Izzy's hair for months but she kept fighting it, saying "I don't want to look like a boy!" Guess she went with Mike a few too many times to get his hair cut and thought that's the kind of cut we were talking about. For some reason she agreed on Saturday and we chomped at the bit, wasting no time.

Saturday morning I met my girls bright and early for the Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon. I haven't been running but just once a week for the past 6 weeks. No speed training. No intervals. No tempos. No miles. Just long runs on the weekend spanning anywhere from 10-12 miles. That's it. So my lack of training and lack of enthusiasm for hurricane Isaac's aftermath made for one grumpy Kelly. Until. Jaime and I met at 6am to carpool downtown and my mood immediately shifted from grouchy to excited! She has that effect on me and I do not take it for granted.

Here we are at the (steamy) start line: Bri, me, Jaim, Amy, Karen, Lori and Kristi
 Three of the gals ran 5 miles prior to our 13, as they are all training for a marathon. So they were treating this race as a training run (read: walk breaks, casual miles, no one left behind). Talk about the best kind of race imaginable. We walked when we needed to. We pottied when we needed to. We laughed constantly. And we left no one behind. I struggled the last few miles, as I hadn't fueled properly the few days leading up to the race. But yet we crossed as a team. Together. With smiles on. I limped from blisters but made it barefoot to the beer line just A-OK (it was free, and large, and local - no brainer).
 A co-worker of mine and fellow CrossFitter joined us for the race. Was fun to have a new face, new dynamic, new conversation for the miles. And since she's new to town (from the MPLS) and it was the least I could do to introduce her to my favorite girls.
 When I got home from the race the girls grabbed my hands and excitedly led me to their new pet: Pinto the BetaFish. We've had a few scares already, but now I know that fish sleep and not to panic when they're sleeping at the top of the tank. Good times.
 I spent the next solid 48 hours in my house unpacking, organizing and slowly decorating. Never changing out of my pajamas. Just working away. Whittling away at the heap of boxes that stared at me in the loft, in the planning center and in the basement.

When I found all of my frames I immediately had to get this sussy beautified stat. Little house warming gift from Jaime and I'm in love...
 Took several hours but I sorted through all of my framed photos, changed a few out, and lined up all my black-framed pics. I'm wanting to make a wall collage of family...thinking it will be going up our stairway, as we have huge walls and the perfect space for it.
 And did the same for my white framed pics of the girls that used to be in their old rooms but I'm figuring as they get older they aren't going to want their baby pictures in their personal space. I'm planning ahead, you see.
 Lane's birthday gift from her Gigi...I cried when I opened it for two reasons: 1. When Jaime came to the hospital to meet Laney just hours after she was born, she held Buggy in her arms and sang this song over and over. And 2. I danced to this song with my dad at my wedding. Be still my heart.
 I feel confident that I got through every box that was important, every box that I wanted its contents spilled out. The storage side of our basement is (semi) organized and weeded through. And we actually have art on the walls. Decor on the shelves. And closets and cabinets organized. We still have a ways to go, but for right now, all is right in my world. I feel like I can breathe. Relax. Unwind. Staring at familiar things that make this house feel more like home.

0 comments :