Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Izzy's First Day of Kindergarten...

This little girl started kindergarten last week...can you tell she was excited!!??
 A few days before school started the elementary had a meet-the-teacher open house and ice cream social. I was anticipating the evening all day and had a hard time concentrating at work, as I had so many ants in my pants. The four of us toured the school and Izzy's classroom. Her teacher gave a presentation to both the kids and adults. There was nervous energy in the room and I must admit, I had sweaty pits. A new routine to start. A new 'first' for Izzy. I love celebrating these 'firsts' with both girls. As Mike tells them, "Girls, your mommy is really in to 'big deals'!"

After meeting new friends (many whom live in our neighborhood!) we ventured on to the ice cream social where I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Our girl was going to be a kindergartener! Izzy came to sit on my lap after she was finished and I giddily asked her if she was excited to start kindergarten. To which she replied, "Not as excited as you, mommy!" I will never forget those words. I just beamed.

The morning of the first day of school was a brisk 55 degrees. Which means the dress we picked out wasn't conducive to outdoor pics but I was determined to capture the monumental morning. Hence Izzy's crying, pitiful face. But have no fear, as soon as we got to school she perked right up.
 Her backpack on her back, she skipped into school. She and Laney explored a bit, as Izzy goes to a before-and-after program that is homeroomed in the cafeteria. Mike and I learned the routine of sign-in, backpack placement, breakfast line, et al. I tried to capture a few more pictures as I was doing my best to extend each minute I had left with her. After all that excitement I wasn't ready to let her go. Sweaty pits and all.


 After we were finished with pictures Izzy was directed to line up for breakfast in alphabetical order. Among other kids of all grades. That had been to school before and high fiving their friends. Ummm, Izzy knows the alphabet but notsomuch how to line up by last name. We helped her out and she was sandwiched between two fourth grade girls who immediately oohed and ahhed over our sweet little Izzy, taking her under their 9 year old wings. Then she was off to choose her breakfast. I made Mike stay a little while until she got to her table to eat so I could leave knowing she was happy. She sat down with older girls. Placed Monkey right in front of her bowl, then jumped right into animated conversation. We knew it was time to let her spread her wings and fly.

After her first full day in her new school I greeted her at the car in the garage. As soon as her door opened she was talking a mile a minute; Izzy was excited and wanted to share every last detail with us. She made new friends. She ate all of her (self-made) lunch. She had recess (the teeter totter was her favorite). Read stories. Art class. Bottom line....kindergarten was a success. After she completed telling us all about it she said, "Ok I have to stop talking because I have to make my lunch now!" Well then.

Quite a different response than my mother said I had after my first day of kindergarten. Mom says I came home, plopped myself down and told her 'I don't think I'm going to go back tomorrow.' I had gone to pre-k and pre-school for a handful of years prior and apparently kindergarten was simply boring for me. Izzy has mentioned a bit of the same (they aren't doing hard math problems yet...which has actually brought her to tears). But thankfully she wants to go back :)

And every day since her first day she comes barreling into the house from school and immediately makes her lunch for the next day. Last night Izzy gave Mike and I a play-by-play of what her typical day looks like. Unsolicited. Detailed. Animated. She walked us through all of the rules (only one voice in the classroom at a time, where to put your lunch box, when walking in line you 'hold a bubble' in your mouth, etc), all of the daily routines, and all of her sweet little commentary on her friends she makes before and after school whilst playing on the 'big kids' playground.

To be a kindergartener again...it's so sweet to relive it all with Izzy. Warms my heart.

And this little Buggy returned to G.oddard School last week. She missed her buddies but thankfully attended a few summer birthday parties to keep up with her friends. I remember how much Izzy learned in pre-K and how far she came in that short time she spent with Ms. Scott. And I am looking forward to seeing the same growth from Laney. She's already started writing her name on paper and writing the alphabet.

It's going to be a big year in our house. Lots of learning, growing, developing and fun. Here's to a successful year of building strong, healthy, smart and compassionate little girls.

0 comments :