Saturday, November 1, 2008

"I run because I can"

Kel, Jaim & Sandi before the race
**Update: Results were posted...I ran my personal best time: 2:03:42 !!!!

This morning I ran my 10th 1/2 marathon: the inaugural Indianapolis Monumental Marathon. That makes me old. At least older than I was when I did my first one, which was in 1999 - I was 22 and living in Minneapolis. I had run in 5k races all throughout my young adulthood with my dad or with friends in college. But for some reason I got the bug to run longer distances post-college. Every year I train and every year I finish. Every year I get stronger. And every year I am reminded why I run these races:

Friendship.
Strength.
Health.
I can.

Jaime and I trained for 12 weeks for this race. During the week we'd do our runs on our own and on Saturday mornings we'd meet on the Monon Trail for our long runs. It was our time together. Away from husbands and kids and everyday monotony. We focused on the road ahead and hugged each other afterwards and headed on our way. I run for friendship.

I know I am stronger today than I was yesterday. Heck, I am stronger today than I was when I was 16. I run for strength.

Because I eat my fair share of junk food, the running allows me to indulge. I burn those calories with each step and know my bones are getting stronger and the calories are melting. I run for my health.

Finally, Jaime and I saw a woman running with all her might this morning...her running gate a bit skewed from what only I could gather was from a disability. She carried her crutches on her back, in case she needed them. I choked up at this sight. And the gal in front of her wore a t-shirt....it said, "I run because I can." Enough said. We crazy runners run, if for nothing else, because we can.

This woman inspired me today to keep going when I was in pain....because I can. What inspired you today?

0 comments :