Monday, June 29, 2009

Mom's surgery update...


Most of you know that my mom had back surgery last Tuesday in San Francisco, CA. She had spinal fusions on several of her vertabrae and the surgery lasted only 1.5 hours. They originally told her it would take 4 hours; however, since there were no residents attending the surgery (UCSF is a teaching hospital/medical school) the doctors said it took far less time b/c they didn't have to explain each step of the way. That, and the synthetic material they used adhered perfectly to her spine/vertabrae and therefore they didn't have to take any bone grafts from her hip. Phew! She stayed in the hospital for 4 days on a morphine drip and was release this last weekend. As of last night, she's feeling a lot better than she expected (could be the pain meds?!) and doing very well. Not sleeping much and doesn't have much of an appetite. She is staying with a friend about an hour from the hospital for a few more days until she's recovered a bit more to make the long journey back to Tahoe. She's quite nervous about the hairpin turns through the mountains...can you blame her?!

My Aunt Gail is flying out to be with her for the next week, once she's home, as she is the most able of all our family to take care of mom (my aunt is a triathlete and quite frankly, is super woman!!!). My sister is working full time and in school several days a week, and I'm 31 weeks pregnant and unable to help her get up and out of bed. Although Kim and I both wanted to be there with her, mom told us to stay home. Mom has a long recovery (the rest of the summer and then some!) and we hope to see her at the holidays!!!

Unfortunately she'll miss the birth of Baby Mac #2...but just like I was there with her in spirit for her surgery, she'll be here with me during labor & delivery.

Here's to a quick recovery and a much healthier back for mom!!!

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Kelly - I had no idea about your mom's surgery! I'm glad she's doing well so far. I'll keep her in my thoughts.

Mary

Cindy said...

Aunt Gail just emailed me and said they are home and even took a little walk today. Sounds like Aunt Linda is coming along great. Make sure someone calls me as soon as the little one decides to join the family.