Sunday, June 21, 2009

Planes, trains & a subway and bus...

This weekend was an ADVENTURE for me. Mike headed to Chicago with his dad for a Cubs game while I took off for the HAMPTON's to surprise Karen (my college best friend) at her bachelorette party!!! Let me just tell you, I had some serious anxiety about getting there b/c I literally had to take planes, trains & automobiles to get there. No joke.

I first drove to the airport.
Hopped on a plane to Laguardia.
Took the public transportation BUS through Queens.
Jumped on the Subway.
And took the TRAIN to the Hamptons.
Then I walked 1/2 mile to the house.

That makes 5 forms of transportation to get there. Woke at 5am and arrived at the doorstep at 2pm. That is why I had anxiety. My windows in between each leg were TIGHT and I'd never traveled this particular route before. Although the times I've traveled to visit Karen before, she did always make me take the train and subway to get to her. Said it was part of the New York experience. So I didn't want to let her down this time.

When I arrived to the house, no one was there. Not a car. Not a bag of luggage. Nothing. Within 2 minutes of my arrival, Karen and a car of girls pull up. She squeals. I choke up. We embrace. I haven't seen her in over 2 years. It was well worth the journey, just for that hug.

I believe there were a total of 10-12 girls in the house at all times; most from NYC, but one from Chicago and another from San Francisco. It was a very chill weekend, as we sat around gossiping, playing games, eating, drinking, shopping and napping. Karen's friend from the city are all triathletes/Iron (wo)Men...so Saturday morning they ALL went out on 15 mile runs. Their motivation and drive was quite inspiring. I was left behind, but not alone. There was one other pregnant gal there, just a few weeks behind me...so I felt I was in very good company with her.

All-in-all it was an amazingly fun weekend and I'm so glad I went, especially since Karen's wedding is 2 weeks after baby Mac #2 arrives. Won't be able to make it, so I HAD to celebrate with her this weekend. Was perfect. (Thanks to Jaime and Molly for all the emotional support before, during and after this crazy trip!)

The house we stayed in...
Eating downtown East Hampton with Karen
Happy Hour at the pool on Friday
A very long and VERY fun night on Friday...LOTS of laughing
The whole crew before we went out on Saturday
The Bachelorette
The trip back wasn't nearly as nerve-wracking as getting out there. But I am GLAD to be home now!!! Mama is tired...and missed her lovies at home.
ps-Happy Father's Day!!!

0 comments :