Sunday, September 19, 2010

I did it!!!

I ran 20 miles yesterday. I'm still in shock my body allowed me to do this to it and that I survived to talk about it. It's just not natural. But I did it. And I don't hurt all that badly. Who'd have thought? Me? Me!

I set out at 6am complete with iPod, a fuel belt consisting of $2, 20 ounces of Gatorade, 1 energy bar and 1 pack of Gu Chomps, sun visor, two tendinitis knee bands, long sleeve jacket, 1 watch, 1 blinking red light and 1 Power Balance necklace. That's a lot of gear for a sport that requires minimal equipment! It was dark and chilly and within 2 miles I had stripped myself of the North Face jacket, tossed it to the side of who knows where. I realized once I hit the Monon Trail that I couldn't see anyone approach me until they were virtually right in front of me so I was immediately paranoid. Around mile 4 I was convinced there was a man chasing me (I don't turn on my music until it is VERY bright outside so I can hear said chaser). I sprinted over a half mile as the adrenaline that I was about to be attacked kicked into my running legs. Phew, he didn't attack. Mile 11 I stopped at a McDonald's to refill my fuel belt and sat down (bare-@ssed on a PUBLIC toilet - gasp!). Around mile 12 I ran into my sometimes running partner & fellow marathon trainer, Meggie, and fell into her arms crying. Meggie: You doing ok? You look great! How's it going? Me: (sobbing) I can't believe I'm doing this, my knees hurt, I miss you with me, Am I really doing this?, I took pain meds, I sat on a public toilet, someone was chasing me in the dark, I STILL HAVE 8 MILES TO GO! After another hug I was off. On my way home I FOUND previously mentioned North Face jacket and as soon as I got to my street I was in tears. Not so much out of pain, but out of disbelief. I did it. 20 miles. And in 3 short weeks I'll have to do 26.2. Holy. Moly.

Anyway, I've completed 15 weeks of marathon training and have 3 more to go. Three weeks of tapering. I'm probably going to go crazy, as this whole running thing is 99% mental and about 1% physical. But just knowing I ran 20 and have that behind me is a huge confidence builder. Huge. And I still can't believe I did it.

2 comments :

Meggie Dials said...

You did it!!! I am so proud of you. It's the most amazing feeling...just think of how you will feel when you do 26.2. Let the tears flow, girl. You earned every one of them. Love you!

Sue said...

You rock! I am so proud and, if I am honest, a little envious. Sure wish I had the drive to do that. If it makes you feel better, the first time Nick ran a marathon, the longest run he did was 18 miles prior to the race! You go girl!