Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I'm Alive and Well...

I sing. A lot. In the car. In the shower. At home with the girls. I just love to sing. I'm not very good at it. But I love the rhythm and the beat and the lyrics. Music moves me. And every once in a while a song I hear on the radio hits a nerve. And not the nerve like the Ke$.ha song that my girls have memorized. But a song that I keep repeating over and over in my head because the lyrics sing in perfect harmony to my emotions at that time. This morning I heard Ken.ny Chesn.ey's I'm Alive while getting ready in the locker room. I couldn't have heard a more perfect song for today's mood. Put a smile on my face. Listen to this:

"And today, you know, that's good enough for me
Breathing in and out's a blessing, can't you see
Today's the first day of the rest of my life
And I'm alive and well"

We are so lucky to have each day. We are alive. We are well. Nurture the body and life we have.

I'm a very black and white person (to a fault). I'm of the opinion that if you're unhappy in your life - only you can change that. Don't like your job? Search for a new one. Don't like your body? Start working out. Bottom line, you are in charge of your own destiny.

I've been running with a group of men since March that are doing just this. Taking charge of their lives and changing how their future unfolds. Haven't blogged about it yet...but feel it's time to share. An organization called Back On My Feet launched in Indianapolis in March and I have had the pleasure of being with them from its inception. It's a not for profit that promotes the self-sufficiency of those experiencing homelessness by engaging them in running as a means to build confidence, strength and self-esteem. They run 3-4 times a week and people like me, volunteers, run along side them. Motivate them. Engage them. Run. We run very early in the morning (it's still dark out), warm up and off we go. All of us pounding the pavement on equal playing ground.

These men started from scratch. None of them ran before. But to change their course of life, they started running. They have now run in several 5ks, half marathons and even now are training for a full marathon. These are men that are taking charge of their lives. And I'm so proud to be associated with them. If you have a chapter in your city I urge you to go run with them. Just once. I promise you will not be disappointed.
Early morning run
With Eric and Marty
Marty & I work for The Fin.ish Line and run with BoMF every week. We wanted to share our experience with our fellow employees so we launched a "Back On My Feet Week at The Fi.nish Line." Eric spoke of his addiction and his journey to a positive life, where he is now training for a marathon. Marty & I spoke about what it means to run with these men and how it had not only changed their lives, but ours too.
The BoMF crew that came to my office to speak
We all know I have this passion for running. I tell everyone I know about my journey, and if you've read this blog for a while you've even heard it. But to be able to share my passion with these incredible men that are taking positive steps to regain a normal life...this is priceless.

Since sharing my story with fellow employees, more than 10 of them have come out this week to run with BoMF. This morning I received an email from Eric saying how amazing it felt to walk out to see so many people there to run. With him. What a great feeling.

So as I'm humming, "Today's the first day of the rest of my life," I'm thinking that I don't want to take today (or any day) for granted. I'm alive and well...and will continue to share this passion of mine for as long as my body allows me to keep running.

1 comments :

mandy said...

That is so awesome! What a wonderful way to reach out to people who need it and lift them up so they know they can be in control of their lives....beautiful!! I am going to see if we have BoMf in Evansville!