Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mini Marathon 2012, Perfect Stranger Style

May in Indianapolis is all about racing. Road racing with the Mini Marathon and car racing with the Indy 500. Yes, please. Most of the Perfect Strangers were in attendance and we had to sport our matching tanks. We're proud like that.

I had one of the worst half marathon times in my career. Wasn't very proud of my performance. And I have no excuse. I could say it was the weather (hot and humid), but I don't really think that was it. Some days we have good runs and others we don't. It happens. Midway through the race I got down on myself about how horribly I was running (slash walking). Until I had a moment of clarity; I was out here running 13 miles while many people were still in bed. I was doing it. My legs were moving and my heart was pumping. I'm out here and healthy. I made a conscious effort to change my attitude and be happy. And it certainly made the rest of the race (and day) so much better. Fun, even. Who cares what time I got. I did it.

Before the race:
The Mini course is not very pretty as it runs through some tough parts of town. But miles 6-8ish are around the Indpls Motor Speedway. Pretty cool. The one thing I do love most about this race and the reason I have run it year after year is the fans. The community comes out in droves and ring their cowbells with pride. I see so many friends along the course that it keeps me going. My friend, co-worker and carpool-mate Brenna came out to watch her sister accomplish her first half marathon and surprised me with this awesome sign (she knows me too well!):
Post race in the beer garden. Perfect reward. We ran into our pal Karie:
And snapped photo after photo. Because that's what we do.


These are girls after my own heart. Meggie said, "Human pyramid anyone?" And we were instantly forming a 6-man stunt. Be still my heart.

0 comments :