Thursday, August 30, 2012

Yes, Michigan!

This summer my dad and step mom celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary. To celebrate, they invited family and friends from around the country to participate in a weekend of festivities. Pizza party Friday night, the Crim road race Saturday morning, pool time, then a huge celebration at their country club. Let's just say it'd be an understatement if I said I was excited about this weekend.
I can't help but sing "Yes, Michigan...the feeling forever!" every time we cross the border. Sadly, the state changed their slogan (who knew?) to "Pure Michigan." Lame.
The girls did us a favor and napped on the road. Score!
We arrived at dad's house just in time for the pizza party and visited with my aunt, uncle, sister, grandfather and many of my parents' friends. Can you tell that Laney Bug adores her cousin Dylan? They are so sweet together.

It was an early night for everyone as we had to wake early for the Crim Festival of Races. I remember this race as long as my memory serves; dad running it, Anna walking it, Kim and I attempting to run/walk it, Grandfather handing out medals at the finish line. It's truly become a family tradition and I love that we all still take part in it. 

I was the only one of our bunch to run the (extremely hilly) 10 mile course. I had never run this before and was looking forward to it. I passed a lot of landmarks that I grew up with...so the run became very nostalgic for me. I saw the UofM Flint campus, the old AutoWorld, streets our friends lived on, my nursery school and more. Loved it. Didn't love the hills. I turned a corner and BAM! they were right in front of me and heading straight up. No lie. I felt like I was on that old school StairMaster where the stairs keep coming at you and you literally have to lift your leg/knee almost to your chest to climb up the next one. It was that steep. The elevation raised 100 feet in just under a mile. To Midwesterners that's synonymous to a mountain!
UofM

While I was climbing mountains running the rest of my family was preparing to run or walk the 5k. This picture is tradition to take before the race. Dad's porch. Dad wearing his race t-shirt. Everyone ready to go!

After the race we headed to dad's country club for some pool time. All three of my cousins and their families joined us as well as dad, Grandfather, Aunt Celeste and Uncle Jeff. We were quite the crew. Rowdy would be the best way to describe us.

Izzy and Laney with their second cousin Reese.
Izzy swimming with Grandpa Tom
Both Izzy and Laney were courageous enough to jump off the diving board. They just kept going up and down and it was so fun to see the wonder in their eyes every time they popped up out of the water saying, "I did it!"

After a quick nap at the hotel we made our way back to the country club for the party. Formal pictures were taken with a photographer, food was passed, drinks were ordered, music was sung, toasts were said and much dancing occurred. I so much enjoy spending time with my extended family that we only see once or twice a year. We have such a great time together. Laughing. Crying. Reminiscing. Planning. Priceless.

Of course we took a bazillion pictures and this one is my fave: 
Grandfather making silly faces with me. I'm pretty sure I got my faces from him...because he was busting out some GOOD ones. The man is 92 and still has the best sense of humor...so playful and wants to be part of the action at all times (the man came to the pool with his blue blockers on for crying out loud - he didn't want to miss anything!).
Dad wore pink and gray...their wedding colors, while Anna wore her original wedding dress that she had altered. Shortened it to knee length and cut off the sleeves.
These two littles danced the night away. Jack is Izzy's second cousin and they were hilarious to watch. Izzy literally danced until the party stopped at 11pm. She was a machine and made me proud.
Izzy & Laney taking advantage of the empty dance floor
While toasts were being made, the girls confiscated Anna's camera and took pictures of everyone (and everything). Lots of pictures of the carpet. But many very candid and funny pictures of all the guests.
I'm sorry to say this is the only (non profesh) family picture we have of the four of us...but I love it.
Izzy dancing with her Grandpa
Couldn't stop them if we tried
We called it a night and slept in until 9am. Our girls don't sleep past 7am ever. We were exhausted from so much fun from the day before. It was time to pack it up and head over to my dad's for brunch and a little happy 3rd birthday to Buggy...

Laney got a sit-n-spin and couldn't have been happier. Can't believe they still make these, as I grew up playing with them! And Mike will be the first to tell you they are made in Ft. Wayne. You're welcome.

Had such a memorable weekend with my family and grateful that we all took the time to come together to celebrate my dad and Anna. Only one missing was my niece, Taylor, as she just went away for her freshman year at Southern Illinois University. Can you stand it?!

Yes, Michigan! proved to be a fun time once again!

0 comments :