Sunday, May 4, 2008

Another 1/2 Marathon...


It's official...we have completed yet another Mini Marathon (13.1 miles)!!! This was Mike's 10th year running and Kelly's 7th. Mike's cousin, Steve Jennings, made the trip down from Wisconsin to run with us this year. He's a marathon runner, so this 1/2 marathon was a piece of cake for him. Our good friends, Katie & Rick, also joined us....which they have for the past 3 years.

Mike ran in 1:59, Steve in 1:56, Kelly in 2:09, Rick in 2:04 and Katie in 2:22. The surprising fact was that Katie was supposed to WALK the race and she ended up RUNNING the race. Hadn't trained to run it...and check out her time. Incredible.

I opted to run alone this year...something I haven't done in quite a while (last year I was pregnant and walked with Katie, the year before I ran with Sandi, and the year prior I walked with Becki). A very good friend of mine (Molly) made me 5 hours of a music medley on her iPod for me to run to. The music made the time go faster and helped me pick up the pace (I sprinted across the finish line to BIG PIMPIN'). I stopped once to potty on the race track and a few times at water stations. And I was just diagnosed with a SINUS INFECTION that I've been battling for 5 weeks...so that made my run that much harder. My goal was to break 2 hours...but it looks like I'll have to train harder next year!

After crossing the finish line, we proceeded directly to the beer tent where we all double fisted some Michelob Ultra to ease the pain. I believe we are all limping a bit today...but how fast we forget, as we are all running again next year :)

1 comments :

Anonymous said...

GREAT JOB!! I hope I'll join you next year!

Sandi