Thursday, September 11, 2008

So special to have a friend like you...

As I mentioned in my last post, Izzy and I were able to spend most of Sunday with my very close friend, Meg. I was supposed to head over there after Izzy's morning nap. However, Izzy didn't want to take that nap. So Iz and I started playing and reading...and in my mind I tried to map out how the rest of the day would go (as all of us moms do with little ones, based on their napping). Before I knew it, Meg called to ask us our plans. I told her we were both in our jammies and I couldn't stand to be sitting in my house while Meg was at hers. Alone. Sans husband. Me too. So Iz and I packed up and took off to the Ripple. In our jammers. We just couldn't get there fast enough...

Meg and I don't spend a lot of time together, as we are both full time moms and full time working moms. Life happens. But nothing ever gets in our way of us having the deepest of conversations...in the most raw sense. We can pick up exactly where we left off on our last conversation without any hesitation. I have never had a friend like Meg. She can get me to laugh just moments after crying my eyes out. She can make me realize that there is more to life than what others think of us. Meg reminds me why girlfriends are invaluable in life.

Meg is a collegiate professor, as my mom was when I was growing up. I can relate to her life balance between work and home (and it helps me better understand what my mom went through when raising us)...and she can ask me what it was like to grow up as a child of a professor. Bottom line, she reminds me that we "working moms" are not defined by our jobs. Rather, we are defined by the family we love and the friends we keep.

I am constantly comparing Izzy's growth and development to Oscar's, when he was Izzy's age. I keep remembering the little tips and tricks Meg had when Oscar was transitioning from an infant to a toddler. My heart nearly lept out of my chest when she asked for MY advice on how I got Izzy to sleep through the night (!). This was the first time a *seasoned* mother asked for my *rookie* advice. I was flattered. Meg wanted to learn from me. If she only knew how much I learned from her about what kind of mother I wanted to be, simply from being a part of her family for those handful of months while nannying Oscar.

I'm so lucky to have her as a friend. I love my Meg...

0 comments :