Monday, October 10, 2011

I Would Walk 500 Miles...

We did it. We pulled it off. After about 6 weeks of planning, Jaime and I surprised our running buddies at the Chicago Marathon. My voice is hoarse today to prove how much fun we had. And I'm pretty sure it's safe to say yesterday was one of my most favorite days ever. Believe it.

Jaime and I drove up to Chicago Saturday afternoon and stayed with my high school bestie Jen. We had a fabulously fun time Saturday night, hitting the sack at midnight (gasp!). Both Jaime and I woke before our alarm clocks on Sunday morning because we were so excited for the day to begin. To pull off an exciting surprise. We quickly got ready and headed out, parking just blocks from the race at a friend's house. Finding the course was easy. Waiting for the runners was not. Jaime and I wanted to get there in time to see the elite Kenyans run and we were successful in this (we literally got dizzy watching them run, as they were so fast). We also saw the wheelchair racers and were choked up watching their strength, their will, their truly incredible abilities.

What felt like hours went by before we started seeing non-elite runners. We positioned ourselves around mile 3 perched on top of a center/median landscaping wall so we were able to see both sides of the street and scan every face in hopes of seeing our girls. We did not travel all this way to miss them. Let's just say our anxiety was sky-high trying to find these girls. Purple shirt. Wh.eaties hat. Everyone starts to look the same. Oh no, did we miss them? I think we missed them. You looking on that side? I've got this side. I'm shaking. Wait! BRI! MEGGIE! CHRISTI!!! They scream. They jump. They cry. We saw them. We surprised them. We cry and embrace. So happy to see our girls running and happy. But we couldn't bask in this glory for too long, we had two more to find. Within 4 minutes we spotted Amy & Sarah. More shock. More kisses blown. Pure and utter relief and elation. Phew.

Jaim and I realized we needed to eat to fuel ourselves for the long day. We picked up food then walked a block to mile 12. Saw more elite runners (and Meggie's husband!) and began to start cheering for the runners instead of scanning like we did at mile 3. Name on your shirt? We yelled for you. Cute? We gave you a whoo hoo. Time ticked away. I was in communication with Meggies bff (who was also in on our surprise) the entire day...where did you see them and what time? Great, we're on track to see her. As my watched neared when they should approach mile 12 we stopped cheering so much and started scanning. Is that them? Did we miss them? I hope they keep running on the left side. Wait...CHRISTI, MEGGIE, BRI!!! More screaming. More I love you's. More cowbell. Or whatever. We were on top of the moon again, proud to have found them a 2nd time. Now for Sarah and Amy. About 10 minutes later we saw these two girls and they were bouncing up and down screaming (and wasting precious energy) when they saw us. Check and check.

Our next adventure (which we called this entire day, as it was the biggest scavenger hunt of our lives...next to Ragn.ar!) was getting to mile 20 to find the girls. We were at mile 12. Running wasn't an option for us (yet). We jumped on the red line. The trains were jam packed. Like sardines. And it was horrifying. We finally got off of that ride to jump onto the orange line. We made it to mile 20. Jaim and I stood post and started cheering on very tired, very ragged runners. We kept trying to recall what we'd want to hear at this point if we were running. Keep it up! Great job! You've come so far, you're almost there! We're so proud of you! You're running a marathon!!! There were no words for some. We just kept hoping we would see our girls. Wait...CHRISTI!!! Christi is an emotional runner. Jaim and I are emotional too. We jump in with her and we all kind of choke up. And then quickly turn to the important topics: how do you feel? What's your pace? Where are the other girls? We ran with Christi for 1 mile through Chinatown. Then left her to finish her marathon where she'd score herself a new PR.

After leaving her we turned back and started walking and scanning the crowd. BRI!!! She was a minute behind Christi and happy. Chipper. Amazingly upbeat for her first marathon. No pains but a few blisters. Girl was rocking it and clearly didn't need us. After a mile with her I received a text from Meggie's bff that she was at mile 21 and hurting. Time to leave Bri.

Jaime and I turn back and start looking for Meggie. Faces now were of that of desperation. It was completely devastating to see some of these runners in this condition. Which made finding Meggie even more important to us. Five minutes pass and we see Meggie. She is looking tired but in typical Meggie form, she sported a smile. We walked. She described her aches and pains. Jaim and I told her how much of a rockstar she was for making it as far as she had injured and untrained for 4 weeks. Um, not just anyone can whip out a marathon under just one of those conditions and she was kicking it's butt. We started running, only to stop for liquids and ice ("You know where I like it"). Meggie was keeping a great pace and did minimal walking. I kept telling her how incredible she was...and how at that point in my marathon last year I was doing a LOT of walking. She truly was rocking it. We ran with Meggie from 22 to 25 and did some dancing and game playing to pass the time (awesomely cool names of kids born in the 70's...Misty and Pam are great ones!). Right before we left Meggie at mile 25 we saw Amy pass us. AMY!!! She was smiling. And happy. And sped off to finish her first marathon. We smooched Meg goodbye and wished her well.

Now that we had run several of our friends in, Jaime and I had to get back to our car. On the map I thought it was 2ish miles. Turns out it was more like 4-5. We ran the entire way. On empty bellies. And drained energy. But we made it. And were relieved to be heading home. The day was emotionally and physically draining (and we didn't even run the marathon!). We were so proud of our girls and that we were able to support them. It was an incredible day. One I will never forget.
Jaime and I at mile 3, long before the race ever started
Second group of elite Kenyans...running so fast their feet were blurry!
Seeing Bri and Christi at mile 12
Meg & Jaim around mile 23
Last few miles on Michigan Avenue
Seeing Amy around mile 25

I am so happy to be a part of these womens' lives. Running together. Bonding together. Making memories together. And I strongly believe that training for a marathon with friends is 110 times easier than training alone. If you are a beginner running or a runner looking for a group to train with, I urge you to seek a group out or come run with us. We won't disappoint. The amount of strength, will, determination and stamina these women have will motivate you to kick some serious marathon butt.

And also, if you have never been a spectator at a marathon? Do it. It will move you witnessing the heart in these runners. If you're looking for a race to come spectate at...our next marathon is in just 26 days here in Indy. Would love to see you there. And a poster idea to bring? "This marathon is your b*tch!" One of my all time faves from yesterday's marathon.

Here's to walking (or running) 500 miles for your best friends.

3 comments :

Corey said...

I am in love with this. I am so glad it worked out!! And that they were shocked! I love it! I have tears and a lump in my throat... I just love it. xoxo

Meggie Dials said...

This was perfect. You guys were perfect. You two were my sherpas. I adore you both.

Jane Goergen said...

I thought you may want to see this. Incredible! http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Woman-gives-birth-hours-after-completing-Chicago?urn=oly-wp756