Tuesday, February 16, 2010

And the 'Mother of the Year Award' goes to...

...NOT ME!!!

Mike went out of town for training for his new job, so I was on Mommy duty. I figured that I could handle this - I do it when Mike is at school, I can do it tonight. What's the big deal, right? Well, I decided to take out the two trash bins (to be a good wife) right after I put down Delaney for the night at 6:30. Izzy is waving at me from the front window and laughing. Little did I know what she was laughing about...until I tried to get back into the house. The door was locked. Bolted. Yep, that's right, my two year old locked me out. In 20 degree weather. With a sleeping 6 month old upstairs.

Panic sets in immediately. Mike is gone. All doors in the house are locked. My two year old is running back and forth from the t.v. to the back door, trying to answer my pleas. I spent about 20 minutes trying to explain to Izzy how to reach up and unlock the door. She couldn't get it. I asked her to bring the potty over and step up and reach. She didn't understand. Looooong story short, I had to leave her to go find a spare key (as all the keys in the center console of the car did not work in the front, back, or garage doors!). I got into the car (those keys were inside, thank goodness!) and drove (sped) over to Katie's house (less than a mile away). Was hysterical. I know when Katie saw my face that she was immediately panicked. They no longer had a spare key (we had to use it when we got locked out once in the summer by the same daughter of ours!), so we called Jaime. Got back into the car, Katie followed me, Jaime met us at my house (have I mentioned she's like 10 months pregnant!?). Key worked. Entered house..."Izzy, where are you?" Izzy comes running around the corner telling us the movie is over. Really? I was in awe that she so put together while I was so....not. Izzy was more surprised to see GiGi and Katie than anything else.

I'm still quite shaken by the whole experience. Feel awful that I had to leave the girls (Laney was oblivious-sleeping the entire time)...however, both girls are alright and fast asleep now. But SO happy that I had two great girlfriends to come to my rescue. Seriously, what's a girl to do without amazing girlfriends?!? Be locked out, that's what!
That darned bolt wouldn't budge! Poor Izzy, wasn't for lack of trying!
Not ONE of these keys worked. Was SO frustrated!!!

ps-PLEASE don't do anything rash, like call CPS on me. I mean, it's bound to happen at some point, right? Katie even told me Delaney will probably do this to us in another 2 years...so this was just preparation. Ha!

3 comments :

Sue said...

So glad that it worked out ok for you. Trust me, I TOTALLY understand that panic that you felt! Do you remember when I got locked in the guest room with Carter outside of it and Nick out of town. CRAZY, AWFUL feeling! Thank the Lord for good friends and neighbors!

Unknown said...

You need to get a key and hide it somewhere in case it ever happens again. The same thing happened to me when the boys were little but I was lucky enough to have Charlie. The kid could handle anything since he was like 18 months old. He could have taken the door apart and put it back together so he rescued me.

maggie b said...

Kel- yes, its happened to me, too! Here is my advice: pull the realtor move... we have a lockbox out front with a house key in it. Classic, huh? but we never get locked out.