Monday, August 2, 2010

First day back at Goddard...

The girls had their first day at school today and I was a nervous wreck about bringing them back. Well, to be honest, I knew Izzy would be back in her glory. But I had never brought Delaney to any school before so I was a bit anxious about how she'd do. We dropped Izzy in her room first and her first question was, "Where's Lukey?" Apparently we arrived to school a whopping 2 minutes before her best bud Luke got there. As soon as he arrived they were off and playing in no time. Then we brought Laney to her room and I just choked up. Set her standing on the floor (complete with shoes...this was her first day wearing SHOES!) and just couldn't move. The teacher was over the moon to finally meet her and I couldn't say one word. Mike immediately started in on Buggy's habits: she usually gets a morning nap (but will be missing it now in the new 1 year old room) and she doesn't need to be rocked to sleep, she will eat everything in sight and want more, she handles a sippy on her own just fine, etc. Mike went into daddy mode while I was in shock that I'd have to leave my baby girl with perfect strangers. Next thing I know I turn and see my best friend in the doorway...I made a dash for her and the tears just flowed. Jaime gave me a big hug and I had to walk away, I couldn't watch what would or would not happen as I left. As soon as I drove away Jaime sent me a text saying both girls were happy as could be. Phew. I then promised Mike and myself that I wouldn't call until nap time. As soon as I called I was relieved to hear both girls were having a great day so far. The director also sent me these pictures:
Buggy lovin' school
Could she be any happier? (Or cuter?!)
I was told Laney loved this climber and was hiding under it playing peek-a-boo throughout the day
I met Mike to pick up the girls and I'm happy to report that both of them had wonderful first days. Laney took a small 45 minute nap (she usually gets two naps, totaling 4ish hours!!) and was the first one done with her lunch (no surprise there). Izzy fell right back into step playing with all her old buddies. We were told that Izzy and Luke act a lot alike and were two peas in a pod. Love it. Both girls were worn out tonight and went to bed at their normal times. However, we were told that tomorrow is when the sleep deprivation and tiredness will set in. Oh joy. I'm just happy they are in a school that nurtures a safe, fun and healthy environment. And one where my best friend takes her boys to and is there right in the nick of time with a hug.

2 comments :

Corey said...

cannon goes to goddard too! we love love love it/ them and value it SO much! I was SO worried about the no morning nap thing in the 1 year old room that I kept him home with me and squeezed in a morning nap for the first few months in the one year old room... and then there's the whole sleeping on a mat on the floor thing... so glad they had a great day!

Sue said...

Glad they had a great first day {back for Iz}. It is never easy, but it sure is easIER when you know they are in a wonderful environment!